Facebook Twitter

SIXTH ARMY TO LEAVE PRESIDIO NEXT YEAR

SHARE SIXTH ARMY TO LEAVE PRESIDIO NEXT YEAR

The remaining Sixth Army is scheduled to leave the Presidio Army Base next year as part of a reduction in the number of military divisions stationed in the United States, officials said Thursday.

The Pentagon decommissioned the Presidio earlier this year, leaving only 400 military personnel and 70 civilian employees to handle administrative duties. The operation contributed $12 million annually to the local economy.However, the Pentagon announced Thursday all remaininng personnel at the Presidio would be gone by Sept. 30, 1995. The military also said it would close the 1st Army headquarters at Fort Meade, Md., to save money.

"I have been told that this is not a move specifically aimed at San Francisco, but to streamline the Army by making it more efficient within the current context of budgetary downsizing," said San Francisco Mayor Frank Jordan. "What-ever the reasons, I am surprised and disappointed."

Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco, also was caught by surprise. She wondered if the Army brass knew all along it was going to shut down operations at the Presidio.

"Weren't the people at the Pentagon talking to each other?," she said. "If they knew the Army was going to leave why did they let us proceed with designing a general management plan for the base with their staying used as a fact?"

She said there was a positive to the announcement. The Army no longer would have a claim to the Presidio golf course.

"The Park Service would have had to pay the Army hundreds of thousands of dollars for the golf course," she said. "Now, the Park Service gets the course unencumbered."