Facebook Twitter



Three defensive battles and one offensive shootout highlighted play at the boys 4A high school soccer tournament Tuesday at Mountain View High School.

Provo, Woods Cross, Tooele and Sky View all advanced to semifinal action which will take place Thursday.Provo entered its game Tuesday as the underdog against Murray. The teams traded first-half goals, with Shawn Herrmann scoring for the Spartans and Nate Lundquist getting the equalizer for the Bulldogs. Murray took a 2-1 lead into the break after Josh Haslem broke free and scored past a diving Scott Thompson at the 11-minute mark.

Second-half action looked as if the teams might show some defensive prowess. Things appeared even bleaker for Provo when senior Casey Jackson was ejected at the 28-minute mark after receiving his second yellow card of the contest.

Ten minutes later, the Bulldogs were whistled for a foul in the penalty area and Sergio Takahashi converted to give Murray a 3-1 lead with only 18 minutes remaining in the game.

Despite playing shorthanded the Bulldogs weren't ready to fold. "I think Murray thought it was over," said Provo coach Cesar Cardoso. "But I thought the kids could come back, and they believed that."

Jake Clark found the net with 13 minutes left in the game and four minutes later Matt Dalebout's shot went off Tyler Platt's fingertips and Spartan defender Ryan Pedersen was unable to keep the ball out of the net and the Bulldogs had knotted the contest.

Regulation time ended in a 3-3 tie and the teams went to overtime.

The Spartans' Takahashi went down with an injury with six minutes left in the second overtime and 40 seconds later the Bulldogs capitalized.

Junior Shay Aslett outplayed a defended in the corner and sent an arching pass toward the goal that Lundquist headed past Platt for the game-winner.

In semifinal action, Provo will play Woods Cross, a 2-0 winner over Ben Lomond.

In earning the shutout victory, the Wildcats avenged a loss at the hands of the Scots last year that ousted Woods Cross from the playoffs.

The Wildcats outshot the Scots 32-4, with Omar Gonzales and Wade Nielsen scoring first-half goals to notch the victory. The Wildcats played without their top scorer, Cameron Winquist, who was out serving a suspension.

In the other bracket, both games ended at 1-0. Sky View ousted top-ranked Olympus by getting an early goal and then playing tough defense the rest of the way.

Six minutes into the game the Bobcats' Nick Butler pounced on a loose ball in front of the goal and forced it past Ethan Gillespie and the game was over.

Although the Titans outpassed Sky View the whole game, they were unable to find the net and the Bobcats advanced.

Sky View advances to play Tooele, a 1-0 winner over Timpview. The Buffalos got the win on an unassisted goal off the foot of Randy White with 12 minutes remaining in the game.

Woods Cross and Provo play at 4:30 p.m. Thursday while Tooele and Sky View kick it off at 6:15 p.m. Both games are at Mountain View High School in Orem.