Facebook Twitter

FIRE RIPS THROUGH DUPLEX; ALL 7 OCCUPANTS ESCAPE

SHARE FIRE RIPS THROUGH DUPLEX; ALL 7 OCCUPANTS ESCAPE

A fire ripped through a duplex Friday night, causing an undetermined amount of damage. All seven occupants escaped injury.

About 6:40 p.m., South Salt Lake firefighters arrived at a duplex at 2950 S. Adams St. (430 East) to find flames shooting out the back of the residence, said Capt. John Nash."The fire apparently started in the bedroom area and spread into the hall and kitchen," Nash said. "We also found the fire had burned up into the attic."

South Salt Lake crews were exploring the building's interior when Nash warned them by radio that live ammunition was stored in the closet. The fire was contained before any ammunition ignited.

Matthew Baker and his wife, Debbie, were eating dinner with friends and family when the smoke alarm went off.

"We saw smoke coming from the bedroom and saw flames under the bed," said Matthew Baker. "We got out as soon as we could."