Shirley Sargent has been installed as president of the Utah Symphony Guild for 1994-95. Other officers
who will serve on the executive board are vice presidents Carol Kounanis, executive; Lynda Richards, administrative; Mitzi Brady, education; Sherry Poulson, membership; Pat Hales, social. Judy Spencer is recording secretary; Laurie Sutherland, corresponding secretary; Sally Quinn, treasurer; and Nancy Dietzler, publicity director. Carolee Harmon is immediate past president and Joann Svikhart staff adviser.- WINNERS HAVE BEEN announced in the Utah Valley Young Keyboard Artists Competition held June 4 at Keith Jorgensen's Music in Orem. They are:
- ELEMENTARY I (ages 6-8): First, Pengquian Yuan; second, Yiyin Chen; third, McKay Rytting.
- ELEMENTARY II (ages 9-11): First, Aaron Andrus; second, Jonathan Yau; third, Landon Poch.
- INTERMEDIATE (ages 12-14): First, Paul Bankhead; second, Marilyn Nelson; third, Merianne Wheeler.
- ADVANCED (ages 15-17): First, Diane Liu; second, Jonathan Miner; third, Philip Nelson.
- YOUNG ARTIST (ages 18-21): First, Suzanne Nelson; second, Alison Giauque; third, Heidi Sorenson.
Awards ranged from $15 to $100. In addition Paul Bankhead was named winner of the $25 Bach and Liszt prizes, Diane Liu of the $25 Beethoven prize and Jonathan Yau of the $25 contemporary prize.
This year, the competition's fourth, 85 pianists competed. The competition director is David Glen Hatch.