Facebook Twitter

CHINA REPORTS PROOF OF POPULATION PLUNGE IN `RAPE OF NANJING’

SHARE CHINA REPORTS PROOF OF POPULATION PLUNGE IN `RAPE OF NANJING’

China has proof that the population of Nanjing dropped by 80 percent after the Japanese took the city in 1937 and massacred its population, the official media said Monday.

Japanese files documenting the "Rape of Nanjing" were discovered among railway archives in northern China in 1992, and will be published shortly, the Xinhua news agency said.Last week, a Japanese patriotic association denounced Chinese claims that up to 340,000 people were killed by Japanese troops.

"No such atrocity was ever committed," said the Association of Intellectuals Concerned about the Future of Japan.

"About 120 journalists and observers were in Nanjing on December 13, 1937, and they failed to see the falsely reported sea of blood and hill of corpses," it added.

The Chinese news agency quotes the uncovered files as saying the population of Nanjing "dropped drastically by 80 percent after occupation."

The documents, stored in the files of the Manchu Railway Co., which was owned by Japan when it occupied northern China, also cite the burial of 30,000 people killed in the massacre.

Some 600 men from the Shanghai office of the railway company were assigned to bury the bodies, the 20,000-word document, written in Japanese, said.