Orem celebrates its 75th birthday June 24-25 in conjunction with the annual Family Summerfest Celebration at the city park on State and Center Street.
The two-day event will include activities for the family, many free or offered at nominal cost.Friday's events will include a craft fair, exhibits, a golf-chipping course, free entertainment, a basketball shooting contest, radio-controlled car races, rides and games for kids, a talent show and a wide variety of foods. There will also be WordPerfect computer games, a celebrity softball game and more.
Activities begin at 3 p.m. and run until 9.
Saturday's events begin with a community breakfast between 7:30 and 10 a.m., sponsored by the Orem Rotary Club: ham, eggs and pancakes. Cost is $2 per person or $10 per family.
All-day activities in the park Saturday include the craft fair, exhibits and displays, the golf-chipping course, free entertainment plus antique cars, a ham-radio contest, the basketball shooting contest, rides, games, a talent fest, a baby contest, the computer games and foods.
To celebrate the anniversary in a big way, Sierra West Jewelers is giving away a diamond.
- A celebrity softball game is scheduled for Saturday at 7 p.m. Admission is free with prizes awarded between innings.
- Free birthday cake will be served in the park, Saturday at 8 p.m.
- A nontraditional baby contest will begin Saturday at 1 p.m. For more information, call 225-7035. Registration is the day of the event.
- A Dutch oven cookoff is planned from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday with samples available at 4 p.m.
- A 5K race/walk will start Saturday at 6:30 p.m. Cost is $9 if preregistered by June 21, $11 at the event. Register at the Orem City Manager's office or any fire station. The race starts at 5200 N. University Ave., Provo, next to the Universal Campus Credit Union building, June 25 with registration between 5:30 and 6:15 p.m. For more information, call 224-7035.
- A children's parade is planned for Saturday, June 25, beginning at 400 East and Center Street. Participants should be lined up no later than 7:15 p.m. Children may decorate their bicycles, wagons and dress in costumes.
- The grand parade will start Saturday at 8 p.m. at 800 East and Center Street and move west to Center Street.
- A free spectacular fireworks display will begin Saturday at dark above the park.
For more information about any of these events, call 224-7035.