Facebook Twitter



A Layton woman was jailed Saturday after her 3-year-old son was found stabbed to death in their third-floor apartment - the third Utah parent in eight days to be arrested for investigation of a child's death.

Police were called to Quail Cove Apartments, 222 W. 2000 North, Layton, about 8 a.m. after receiving a 911 call from a woman saying there was a murder-suicide at the residence, according to a police report.Officers found Joshua Burns lying on a bed in a pool of blood next to his unconscious mother, Ok Kum Burns, 32.

The child was pronounced dead at the scene. An autopsy will be done this week.

The mother was taken to Humana Davis North hospital, where she was treated for an aspirin overdose and superficial knife wounds and released.

She was later arrested and booked into the Davis County Jail, according to Layton Police Sgt. Kevin Allred.

Detectives say an investigation is pending, but they suspect a marital rift may have played a role in the incident.

"It looks like Burns' husband may have moved out last Thursday - that might have been the cause of it," said Layton Police Detective Heinz Schuessler.

Neighbors called Joshua's death "a surprise and a big shock."

"It's sad that something like this would happen to a little boy," said resident Lawrence Jones.

An employee of the complex who did not give her name recalled the family being "quiet people.

"We really didn't see them around that much," she said.

Two other Utahns have been arrested in the past two weeks in connection with their young sons' deaths. Eric E. Duff, 23, was arrested Tuesday and later charged in the choking death of his 1-year-old son, Eaon Duff.

Court documents say the South Salt Lake man became angry after Eaon put a hard rubber ball into his mouth after being told not to do so. Duff is alleged to have shoved the ball into the child's mouth, saying, "If you want this ball, you can have it."

On June 10, Darlene Bright, West Valley City, was charged with killing a 3-year-old foster son whom she had adopted. Kameron Bright died April 5 after suffering two skull fractures.

Also, Ogden police are still investigating the murder of 3-year-old Courtney Flemal. The child's body was found in some shrubbery at Ogden Cemetery on June 7, three days after her mother reported her missing.

No arrests have been made in that case.