Both the Utah Shakespearean Festival in Cedar City and the Old Lyric Repertory Company series in Logan get under way this week.
The Shakespearean Festival will have discounted "preview" performances of its three outdoor Adams Memorial Shakespearean Theatre productions, with both openings and previews scheduled the week of June 27-July 2. The USF will kick into high gear the week of July 4, when the regular week-to-week schedule will fall into place (except for one Fourth of July change).This week, there will be "previews" of "As You Like It" on Thursday, June 23; Thomas Dekker's comedy, "The Shoemaker's Holiday" on Friday, and "Richard III" on Saturday - all at 8:30 p.m.
Dekker was a contemporary of William Shakespeare's and, most likely, both writers' plays were presented in the same theaters in their time.
The festival's schedule for the following week will be:
- "As You Like It," June 27 (opening) and June 30, both 8:30 p.m. in the Adams Theatre.
- "A Streetcar Named Desire," June 27 (preview) and July 1 (opening), both 2 p.m. in the Randall Jones Theatre.
- "The Shoemaker's Holiday," June 28 (opening) and July 1, both at 8:30 p.m. in the Adams.
- "Love's Labour's Lost," June 28 (preview) and July 2 (opening), both at 2 p.m. in the Jones.
- "Richard III," June 29 (opening) and July 2, both 8:30 p.m. in the Adams.
- "A Flea in Her Ear," June 29 (preview) and June 30 (opening), both at 2 p.m., and July 2 at 8:30 p.m., all in the Jones.
Reviews of all six productions will be published as a Weekend Extra package in the Deseret News on Friday, July 8, along with a clip-and-save guide to the 1994 festival.
For reservations, call the festival box office at 586-7878.
- THE OLD LYRIC REPERTORY COMPANY in Logan, based in that city's historic Lyric Theatre, opens Thursday, June 23, with Ken Ludwig's outrageous comedy, "Lend Me a Tenor."
Performances will be June 23-25 at 8 p.m., followed by seven additional showings through mid-August. It will run in repertory with "Song of Singapore," "Lettice and Lovage" and Agatha Christie's "The Unexpected Guest."
Remaining "Lend Me a Tenor" dates are: July 8, 9, 21 and 30 (both matinee and evening), and Aug. 3 and 12.
For details or season brochures, call 797-1657.