Facebook Twitter

MAGNA MAN BURNED IN HOME FLASH FIRE

SHARE MAGNA MAN BURNED IN HOME FLASH FIRE

A Magna man was burned in a flash fire at his home Sunday afternoon after the pilot light in a basement water heater ignited carpet glue fumes.

Melvin H. Griffith, 40, sustained second-degree burns over 18 percent of his body, mostly on his arms and legs, but is listed in stable condition at the University Hospital.Griffith was gluing down carpet in the stairwell at his home, 2955 S. 8600 West, when one of the other five residents in the house turned on the hot water, igniting the pilot light, which in turn ignited the fumes from the flammable adhesive, said Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Lowell Mikolash.

Firefighters confined the blaze to one basement room. Damage is estimated at $1,000, Mikolash said.