Facebook Twitter

BUS-ROUTE CHANGES AIM TO CUT MAIN STREET TRAFFIC

SHARE BUS-ROUTE CHANGES AIM TO CUT MAIN STREET TRAFFIC

In an attempt to reduce traffic on Main Street between North Temple and South Temple, Utah Transit Authority will change many of its downtown bus routes.

Tim Harpst, Salt Lake City transportation engineer, said the primary reason for the change is the increased pedestrian traffic from an eastern gate on Temple Square across Main Street to the Joseph Smith Building. A new signaled crosswalk between the popular tourist sites creates traffic backups into the Main Street and South Temple intersection.Beginning Monday, June 13, 70 percent of the buses that formerly used Main Street between North Temple and South Temple will turn either east or west at South Temple. The remaining 30 percent will continue on to North Temple.

Bill Barnes, UTA spokesman, said city officials asked UTA to make the changes because the city wants to keep bus traffic off North Temple and promote transit and pedestrian traffic on South Temple.

The routes that will continue on Main Street between North and South Temple include Nos. 11, 19, 20, 23, 50, 55, 60, 61, 62, 63, 70, 72, 73 and all night rides.

Routes that will turn and travel on South Temple from Main Street are Nos. 4, 8, 9, 13, 14, 16, 17, 21, 26, 27, 29, 32, 33, 34, 34X, 35, 36, 37, 41, 42, 43, 43X, 45, 47, 48, 51, 54, 66, 75, 88 and Provo routes 1 and 10.

For additional information call: BUS-INFO.