Facebook Twitter

FACTIONS POUND BOSNIA TARGETS DAY AFTER TRUCE

SHARE FACTIONS POUND BOSNIA TARGETS DAY AFTER TRUCE

Bosnian Serb and Muslim-led Bosnian government forces continued to pound civilian and military targets in north-central Bosnia Thursday, just one day after the warring factions signed a cease-fire accord in Geneva.

"The main area of activity remains the Gradacac-to-Ribnica confrontation line," said Cmdr. Eric Chaperon, spokesman for the U.N. Protection Force. "When compared to last week's shelling these areas have shown a substantial decrease in the level of fighting."The four-week cease-fire accord signed by Bosnian Muslims, Serbs and Croats Wednesday is to take effect at noon local time Friday.

The level of shelling late last week reached a high Friday of 1,492 artillery, mortar and tank rounds fired during a 24-hour period. Only 119 detonations were reported by U.N. military observers during the same period Wednesday and early Thursday, Chaperon said.

Other areas of the war-torn former Yugoslav republic remained relatively free of heavy weapons fire, he said.

But in the eastern Muslim enclave of Gorazde, heavy and sustained small-arms fire was reported late Wednesday afternoon between the Bosnian Serb and Muslim-led Bosnian government armies. No casualty report was available.