* IDAHO'S TOLL-FREE TRAVEL ADVISORY phone number now includes updated travel conditions in Washington, Oregon, Montana and Wyoming, as well as Idaho. Call 1-800-704-3246. The line is updated daily and is accessible around the clock. You can find out about road closures and where major fires affecting travel are located. "Our number one priority is public safety," says Carl Wilgus, administrator of Idaho's Division of Tourism Development. "Beyond that, we hope to help travelers avoid possible road hazards or delays due to road closures."
* SELF-GUIDED TOUR OF PHILADELPHIA. William Penn Tours brochures are now available through the Philadelphia Visitors Center and the Quaker Information Center. The brochure was created by the Quaker Information Center in honor of William Penn's 350th birthday anniversary. Festivities will culminate Oct. 22 with a giant birthday party at Penn's Landing. The brochure gives detailed descriptions and directions for three self-guided tours of sites in Pennsylvania related to Penn and his influence on the development of the state. A walking tour of Historic Philadelphia features stops at Welcome Park, the Arch Street Meeting House and Pennsylvania Hospital. The first driving tour begins at Penn's Landing, where Penn stepped ashore at the Blue Anchor Tavern in 1692, then moves north to Penn Treaty Park, where he negotiated with the Lenni Lenape. The drive culminates at Penn's home in Delaware. The second driving tour begins in Upland near Chester and makes a loop through southeastern Pennsylvania to the meetinghouses attended by Penn. For a free copy of the brochure, contact the Visitors Center at 1-215-636-1666 or the Quaker Information Center at 1-215-241-7241.
THE SAN FRANCISCO MUSEUM OF MODERN ART will close its doors to the public Sept. 5 to move to a new location at 151 Third St., adjacent to Yerba Buena Gardens. The new museum's gift shop will open Oct. 12, the cafe will open in November and the galleries will open Jan. 18.
SPEAKING OF SAN FRANCISCO . . . A discount program for visitors called "Local Time" will be in effect from Sept. 1 to March 31, 1995. It offers a visitors kit to the city with maps, guide booklets, events calendars and a "Local Time Cheque Book." The checkbook contains discount coupons good where American Express cards are accepted and available to American Express card members who pay with their American Express cards. It includes discounts and special offers from United Airlines, Dollar Rent a Car, hotels and more than 90 restaurants, attractions, shops and sightseeing companies. Examples: 20 percent off published rates for minimum three-night stays at participating hotels; 20 percent off non-sale purchases from participating merchants; 20 percent off or two-for-one entrees from participating restaurants; United Airlines Plus miles at participating American Express service establishments and $10 off two- to four-day rentals from Dollar Rent a Car. Discounts are not valid with any other discounts or promotions. If you're an American Express card member, call 1-800-738-6329 to receive a free kit.
* FACTORY OUTLETS IN NEW ENGLAND. For a free copy of the 1994-95 Guide to Southeastern Massachusetts Factory Outlets, write the Bristol County Convention & Visitors Bureau, P.O. Box 976, Dept. F, New Bedford, MA 02741, or call 1-800-188-6263. It lists 125 outlets in the region - from Fall River to North Dartmouth and from New Bedford to Attleboro.
* SPEAKING OF MASSACHUSETTS . . . If you don't want to shop factory outlets, try golfing the state's more than 200 public and semi-public golf courses. A guide to public golf courses called Bay State Fairways is available free by calling 1-800-227-MASS. Courses are listed alphabetically within each of 10 regions. Information about each course includes the size, par, green fees for weekdays and weekends, name of pro, shop and restaurants and the availability of pull and power carts. The guide features a color map, regional photos and directions to each course.
LOST AND FOUND FOR PETS. Lost Paws is an answering and voice mail service for pets who travel with their people. It has an 800 number and voice mail with the ability to accept and convey messages seven days a week, 24 hours a day. If you lose your pet when you're on the road, the person who finds it can contact Lost Paws. The service is available for $29.95 per year and includes the 24-hour answering service, voice mail, pet ID tags and more. For information, call 1-800-676-3157.
* DAYS INNS CATER TO KIDS. Available this summer at more than 1,500 Days Inns are Flintstones Family Fun Packs, kids-cruise-free coupons and airline discount coupons. The Days Inn Flintstones Family Travel Fun program includes a special room rate; free Flintstones Family Fun Pack for each child at check-in; the largest available room at check-in; coupon for savings of up to $100 off the cost of airline tickets for each family member; Flintstones Kids Cruise Free coupons with a chance to win a free cruise for the entire family; special merchandising offers with discounts for Days Inn September Days Club and Inn-Credible Card members. Included in the kids' Fun Days Travel Pack are the box; a Flintstones finger puppet; a vehicle that really rolls; sticker sheets for customizing the rolling vehicle; a travel map/fun book/game mat; and Days Inn crayons. The Kids-Cruise-Free coupons are redeemable for a free cruise for up to two children when their parents book, for certain dates, a Dolphin Cruise for three nights from Miami to the Bahamas. Cruises must be booked through The Cruise Line and must be completed by March 31, 1995. To enter the free cruise drawing for up to four passengers, complete an entry form available at Days Inn hotels or include your name, address and phone number on a 3x5 card and send it to TPI, 635 Hermosa Ave., Hermosa Beach, CA 90254. Entries must be postmarked by Dec. 31, 1994.
* CRUISE DISCOUNTER. Very few cruise passengers pay full price thanks to a competitive market and an increasing number of ships. The best advice is to shop around. Compare prices from one travel agency to another and consult a discount cruise agency. Include in your comparison what the quoted fare covers. For example, it may not cover airfare or transfers from the airport to the ship. One discount agency is World Wide Cruises Inc., in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Its toll-free hotline number is 1-800-882-9000.