Sanpete County will observe the fall harvest with a 10-day county fair developing the theme: "Sanpete - Center of Warmth and Harmony."
The fair opened Tuesday with 4-H contests, a style revue and a fashion show. It will close on Aug. 27 with a rodeo. In between will be a wide variety of events. Some on the major ones:- A Farm Bureau Talent Find on Friday, Aug. 19, at 7 p.m. at Manti High School. The winners in three divisions will receive awards and represent Sanpete at the state fair.
- The Miss Sanpete Scholarship Pageant on Saturday, Aug. 20, at 7:30 p.m. at Manti High School. Competing for college scholarships will be the queens and their attendants from Sanpete cities.
- Two concerts by Confederate Railroad, a country western group, at 7 and 9:30 p.m. in the Snow College Activity Center on Monday, Aug. 22.
- The demolition derby, the fair's most popular event, at the fairgrounds arena on Aug. 25 at 7:30 p.m.
- Performances of Clegg Championship Rodeo on Aug. 26 and 27 at 8 p.m. at the fairgrounds.
- A new event, the Cowboy Poetry Show, featuring recitals, on Aug. 26 at the grandstand.
- The parade of floats, bands, cowboys and other entries down Main Street on Aug. 27 at 5 p.m.
There will also be judging and showmanship contests, the Cook Out King contest, local talent shows, truck pulls, the Big Sky Amusement Carnival and other activities, said Brad Bown, fair board chairman.