Spanish Fork, Roy, Springville, St. George, Green River and Price are some of the cities to be visited this month by an innovative childhood immunization program.
Slug-the-Bug, a mobile program that is not for profit, has the goal of vaccinating about half of the Utah children who haven't been getting the shots they should."This goal is attainable, when compared to the many very complex issues we are dealing with as a society today," said Ginny Peterson, director of community relations for Slug-the-Bug. Peterson is with CNS Home Health Plus, 1370 S. West Temple.
"Our children have a challenge ahead of them just to grow up, without the added burden of a potentially debilitating disease," she said.
During August, the program will offer vaccinations at:
- Price, City Market, 760 W. Price River Drive, Aug. 5, 3-7 p.m.
- Green River, Melon and Vine Market, 76 S. Broadway, Aug. 6, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Springville, Ream's, 759 E. 400 South, Aug. 10, 3-7 p.m.
- Nephi, Mount Nebo Thriftway, 965 N. Main, Aug. 11, 3-7 p.m.
- Gunnison, Thriftway, 520 S. Main, Aug. 12, 3-7 p.m.
- Richfield, Albertsons, 360 S. Main, Aug. 13, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Spanish Fork, Macey's, 1040 W. Main, Aug. 17, 3-7 p.m.
- Orem, Payless, 157 N. State, Aug. 18, 3-7 p.m.
- Park City, Kmart, 6400 N. U-224, Aug. 19, 3-7 p.m.
- Roy, Albertsons, 5651 S. 1900 West, Aug. 20, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Somewhere in the region covered by the Southwest Utah Public Health District (city yet to be determined; call 486-5588 for updated information), Aug. 25, 3-7 p.m.
- St. George, Albertsons, 835 S. Bluff St., Aug. 26, 3-7 p.m.
- Cedar City, Albertsons, 905 S. Main, Aug. 27, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Peterson said the program could always use donations or volunteers; anyone interested in helping may call her, 486-5588.