clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

PLEA TO BORROW MILK MAY HAVE SAVED LIVES

A neighbor girl trying to borrow a cup of milk perhaps saved the lives of a Herriman family Monday when she told them of a garage fire.

Morgan Mascaro, 11, was walking to her cousin's house, 4091 W. 12600 South, about 8 a.m. to borrow a cup of milk for her grandmother. As she neared the ranch-style home, she saw smoke pouring from the attached garage and ran inside. Her cousin, 31-year-old Denette Facer, was in the kitchen getting her children ready for school when the young girl ran in."I told her, `Your garage is on fire!' " Mascaro said.

Facer and the four children ducked outside and watched as fire first engulfed a toy Jeep left inside the garage and then spread to the rest of the structure.

"It just went up," Facer said. "If it wasn't for her and her grandmother borrowing the milk . . . "

The house sustained some $20,000 damage concentrated mostly in the garage, which adjoins the home, Salt Lake County fire Capt. Lowell Mikolash said. A Ford Explorer utility vehicle parked inside the garage sustained smoke damage.