The Utah High School for the Performing and Fine Arts is now registering for children's classes.
The classes, to be held after school, will include:- Beginning dance: Classes are scheduled for preschool through 12th grade every Tuesday. Myra Howard, a 14-year dance veteran, will be the instructor.
- Advanced dance: Students with a year or more of previous jazz or hip-hop experience will perform original pieces and go beyond the basics of choreography. Gretchen Wixom will be the instructor. Classes will be Wednesday from 4:30 to 6 p.m.
- Private piano: Students ages 6 to 12 years will learn the basics of music theory and sight reading through this first-time experience on the piano. Danny Noorlander will instruct Tuesdays from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Art: Students 6 years and older will receive an introduction to drawing and painting. Katie Young will be the instructor. Classes will be Tuesdays from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Acting: Third- through sixth-grade students will learn acting and improvisation techniques. Classes will be held Tuesdays from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. and will be directed by Rocky Kerr and Spencer Noorlander.
- Beginning voice: This class, held Thursdays from 4 to 5 p.m., will offer 5- to 9-year-old singers-to-be an fun-filled hour of vocal training. Experienced vocalists Kim Richards and Jessica Fugal will be the instructors.
- Intermediate voice: Held every Thursday from 5 to 6 p.m., this class for 9- to 13-year-olds will teach the techniques of proper singing and performance. Recitals every few months will allow the student to experience their own progress. Chris Holmes and Laurie Webb will be the instructors.
- Fairy Tale theater: Especially for kids ages 5 to 9, this class lets resident comedians John Dunston and Eric Blood lead as students create characters and improvise around fairy-tale themes. Classes will be Thursdays from 4 to 5 p.m.
All classes are held in the school's facility, 825 E. 800 North. For more information call 221-9136 during business hours.