Facebook Twitter

2-ALARM FIRE DAMAGES HISTORIC AVENUES HOME

SHARE 2-ALARM FIRE DAMAGES HISTORIC AVENUES HOME

A smoky, two-alarm fire caused extensive damage Sunday afternoon to a historic Salt Lake Avenues home recently used in the Stephen King movie "The Stand".

Salt Lake Fire Battalion Chief Don Hill said the blaze started in the basement furnace room of the two-story home at 183 North J Street about 1:20 p.m.Flames and smoke spread through the furnace pipe chases, reaching other areas of the house, he said. The residents, whose names were not available, were home at the time but escaped without injury.

Hill said firefighters had some trouble reaching the fire because of difficult access to the basement but managed to extinguish the blaze within 30 minutes.

Twenty-seven firefighters equipped with four engines and two ladder trucks responded to the blaze and remained on the scene through-out the afternoon dousing hot spots and clearing the house of smoke.

The basement sustained substantial fire damage while smoke was responsible for most of the damage in the rest of the house. Hill said because of the historic detailing in the structure, the damage could cost more than $100,000 to repair.