Facebook Twitter



The Fremont Silver Wolves came close to punting themselves right out of the state 5A football playoffs, but a key interception with 1:56 remaining was enough to preserve a 21-16 win over Viewmont in the school's first-ever playoff game.

"I was never comfortable the whole game," confessed Fremont coach Blaine Monkres afterwards. "We were fortunate to win."Neither team was comfortable in the first quarter as both sides gave up two turnovers. Fremont moved the opening kick to the Viewmont 23 before fumbling the ball away. Viewmont reciprocated three plays later with the first of three Viking interceptions on the night.

After exchanging possessions, Fremont again moved into scoring territory only to cough up the ball at the Viewmont 14. On the ensuing play, Viewmont gave the ball back with a fumble at the 15. Fremont took advantage, with Hannum sneaking in from 2 yards out four plays later to make it 7-0 just five seconds into the second quarter.

In the third quarter, the teams traded interceptions before Fremont got things rolling again with 2:14 remaining. After taking a punt, the Silver Wolves moved 48 yards in five plays, with Casey Johnson bulling in from 2 yards out with 40.9 seconds remaining.

A bad kick gave Viewmont the ball at their 46 and the Vikings used three pass completions to move to the Fremont 33, where Clint Layton connected on a 49-yard field goal to make it 14-3 at the half.

Viewmont looked to take control in the third quarter taking the opening kick and driving 66 yards for a touchdown, with Brian Jackson running in from 1 yard out to make it 14-10 with 8:09 remaining.

The Silver Wolves' second interception toss of the night thwarted Fremont's answering drive at the Viewmont 20. The teams exchanged punts before Viewmont made a critical mistake with six seconds remaining in the third quarter. A shanked punt carried just 8 yards, giving Fremont the ball at its own 45-yard line. Three plays later, Hannum found Flinders on a swing pass out of the backfield, and Flinders turned it into a 44-yard touchdown jaunt to make it 21-10.

Viewmont answered back with a grueling drive that ran out of downs at the Fremont 6-yard line with 4:37 remaining. The Vikings got new life by snagging their third interception of the night two plays later. Viewmont made good on the error, as Wight found Brian Bowles on a 12-yard scoring toss on the first play. A try for two points failed, leaving the score at 21-16.

Viewmont found itself in a position to win minutes later when Fremont shanked a 13-yard punt, giving the Vikings the ball at the Viewmont 48-yard line with 2:12 remaining. Wight was shaken up on the ensuing pass play, forcing junior quarterback Mike Parker into the game. But Parker would touch the ball only once as Fremont's Shawn Van Tassell outjumped Bowles for the ball and the interception, allowing the Silver Wolves to run out the clock.