Facebook Twitter



Two years in prison haven't changed Cody Robert Judy's story or his mind.

He maintains that he was misunderstood when he held a plastic cellular phone wrapped in black tape next to the head of President Howard W. Hunter, who was then the president of the LDS Church's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and demanded the 86-year-old church leader read a letter proclaiming Judy the new prophet of the church.Judy's attack came during a church fireside at Brigham Young University's Marriott Center in February 1993, while thousands were in attendance.

Judy on Monday refused to attend his second parole hearing. Board of Pardons and Parole Chairman Michael Sibbett read parts of a letter Judy wrote to the board two months ago.

"I'm guilty of thinking people would find it interesting to learn what I'd discovered through scripture," Judy's letter said. He laid part of the blame for his actions at the feet of Mormon Church leaders.

Judy wrote that if they'd truly been inspired, they would have known he didn't have a bomb, as in explosives, but a "B.O.M.," as in the church's scripture Book of Mormon.

Despite Judy's insistence that Hunter read his letter, Hunter refused. Sibbett, reading from the board's official record, said Judy became frustrated with Hunter's refusal and the crowd's singing.

The crowd began singing a hymn when Judy rushed onto the stage and made his threats, Sibbett said. A security guard tried to pull Judy from behind and Judy pushed the man down. A member of the audience then sprayed pepper mace in Judy's face and two other security officers "literally mobbed, apprehended and carried Mr. Judy off" the stage, Sibbett said.

"His logic escapes me as he goes on with this rambling statement," Sibbett said after reading parts of Judy's letter. He said the board received another letter from an inmate who knows Judy.

The inmate said he was worried about Judy's psychological stability and that Judy still talks about visions from God. Sibbett said the board will investigate the inmate's claims "very thoroughly."

"My record speaks for itself," Judy told the officer who came to his cell before the board hearing. Sibbett said Judy was told not coming to the hearing would reflect negatively upon him.

"I regret that Mr. Judy was not present to answer some of the the questions that I would like to have asked," Sibbett said. He took the case under advisement, and Judy will be notified in about two weeks of the board's decision.

Judy pleaded guilty to charges of aggravated burglary, assault and escape and could spend up to 15 years in prison.