The Boston Celtics searched for Reggie Lewis' stolen banner Monday while a new development surfaced in the death of the star player: The Boston Globe reported that most of the doctors who did an autopsy on Lewis do not believe he died from cocaine use.

The operators of Boston Garden offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person who took the banner bearing Lewis' retired jersey number.Officials believe the 12 foot by 15 foot banner was stolen between 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Saturday. It was raised to the rafters Wednesday night during an emotional ceremony amid allegations that Lewis was a drug user.

In addition to bearing Lewis' No. 35, the green-and-white banner bore the numbers of Larry Bird (No. 33), Dennis Johnson (No. 3) and Kevin McHale (No. 32).

The Celtics vowed to replace it by Tuesday night's Bruins game against the Philadelphia Flyers. Johnson, now a Celtics assistant coach, said he was optimistic the banner would be found.

"It'll show up some place. This is not nothing you can just take to a pawnshop and pawn off, because the minute it shows up, somebody will call in on it," Johnson said.

Garden president Larry Moulter issued a general warning about vandalism to the 66-year-old building, which is being picked apart by souvenir seekers as the Celtics and Boston Bruins prepare to move next door to the FleetCenter in September.

"The public deserves the right to come into our building and honor the tradition in its final year of glory. Incidents like this will not be tolerated and those in violation will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," Moulter said.

Meanwhile, the Globe reported Monday that five of the eight doctors who performed an autopsy on Lewis after he died in 1993 do not feel that cocaine use caused heart scarring that was listed as a contributing cause of his death.

The consultants, however, also could not agree about whether the scars could have been caused by the simple virus, Adenovirus II, that was given as the cause of death on Lewis' death certificate, the Globe reported, citing unnamed sources.

The Globe said the doctors had made the statements during interviews with state police troopers investigating the autopsy.

The investigation was launched March 9, after The Wall Street Journal reported that financial and public relations concerns kept the Celtics and doctors from fully investigating whether cocaine use caused Lewis' death.

The Journal said that Dr. Stanton Kessler, who headed the autopsy team, was threatened with legal action by the Lewis family if he mentioned drug use in his findings.

Lewis' widow, Donna Harris-Lewis, has denied the report. She also has said that her late husband never refused to take a drug test, as the Journal also reported.

The Celtics have threatened to file a $100 million libel suit against the newspaper, but to date have not filed it.

The Globe said that as of late last week, seven of the specialists who assisted in the autopsy had been questioned by state police troopers. The troopers hope the have their report finished this week.

Two of the seven, Drs. Jeffrey Isner of St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Boston, and John Fallon of Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, said the scarring was consistent with, but not limited to, use of cocaine. The other five, while not ruling out that Lewis ever used cocaine, did not feel it caused his death.

Lewis died July 27, 1993, after collapsing while shooting baskets. He had collapsed three months earlier during a playoff game. In the past week the Journal, Globe and Boston Herald have quoted individuals by name who have claimed to have used cocaine with Lewis or sold him the drug.