Rwanda's prime minister has urged the United Nations to stop feeding Rwandan refugees in Zaire who committed genocide in their homeland last year.
"Mechanisms must be devised . . . to separate innocent people from the killers," Prime Minister Faustin Twagiramungu told U.N. officials, according a Rwandan radio broadcast monitored Saturday in Kenya.Twagiramungu met with the U.N. officials Friday to explain why Rwanda was blocking food trucks from crossing into eastern Zaire, where 1 million Rwandan refugees are camped.
A Tutsi-led rebel movement ousted Rwanda's former Hutu-led government last year after massacres in which about 500,000 people, mainly Tutsis, were slaughtered, primarily by Hutu militias and government soldiers.
The Rwandan refugees, mainly Hutus, fled their homeland in fear of reprisals. Among them are soldiers and officials of the former government.
"What we are frankly afraid of is the training being given in the camps to youths and also to the former army," Twagiramungu said in Rwanda's capital, Kigali. He said the trainees were getting the U.N. food.
On Monday, the U.N. World Food Program said 29 trucks were stopped in the southwestern Rwandan town of Cyangugu and another 29 in Kigali.