Utah County Fair officials have scheduled a variety of events for the new Buckaroo Rodeo - including a queen contest and horse show - in conjunction with this year's county fair.
Except for the rodeo, most events will be free to the public. Fair Director Francine Christensen said that creating the rodeo helps her committee take another step toward revitalizing the county fair.The rodeo and horse show will run from Aug. 14 to 19 at the Spanish Fork City Fairgrounds. The Buckaroo Rodeo Queen Contest will be held Friday, May 5. The fair itself will run from Aug. 16 to 19, also at the fairgrounds.
A queen will be chosen from 12- to 15-year-old contestants, and a princess will be chosen from a field of girls ages 11 and under. Each will have two attendants.
The additional, but tentative, schedule of events for the rodeo and horse show is as follows:
- Monday, Aug. 14: evening, team roping and calf roping events.
- Tuesday, Aug. 15: morning, all-English show for youths and adults; evening, open-halter classes.
- Wednesday, Aug. 16: morning, 4-H Fun Horse Show; evening, National Barrel Racing Association and pole-bending events.
- Thursday, Aug. 17: morning, Open Youth Show; evening, Open Adult Show.
- Friday, Aug. 18: morning, approved adult show; evening, mule show.
- Saturday, Aug. 19: morning, team tending; evening: Buckaroo Rodeo Finals.
For further information on the events or to volunteer help, contact Shauna Hatch, 785-4971, on the queen contest, or Ross Bradford, 667-3334, on the horse show.