clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Around the world

AFTERSHOCK: A moderate aftershock shook the Niigata region northwest of Tokyo on Sunday, a day after a 6.0-magnitude quake destroyed or damaged hundreds of buildings and forced nearly 300 people to seek refuge in shelters. No was killed in Saturday's quake, but two people suffered broken bones and another received severe burns from boiling water that spilled. Other victims had minor injuries. The aftershock Sunday morning had a preliminary magnitude of 5.2, but no additional damage or injuries were reported.HANDS TIED: British Prime Minister John Major has said he cannot intervene over the case of a British man facing execution in the United States next week. British officials said on Saturday that Major wrote to the mother of Nicholas Ingram saying that "with deepest regret" there were no proper grounds for him to intercede. Ingram's mother Anne had written to Major begging him to help save the life of her 31-year-old son, who is on death row in a Georgia prison for a 1983 murder.

Across the nation

BACK TO WORK: Limited production resumed Saturday at a key Chrysler Corp. factory in Kokomo, Ind., a day after a brief strike that threatened to shut down the No. 3 domestic automaker's assembly plants. Elsewhere, union and management negotiators returned to the table in efforts to end a walkout at a General Motors Corp. truck plant. Chrysler's Kokomo plant had normal weekend production with a skeleton crew, said Chrysler spokesman Alan Miller. Some workers had returned late Friday and full crews will be at work Monday, he said.

ARRESTED: Cerebral palsy took part of Annie Marshall's sight and hearing, and led to retardation and other disorders. Yet it was her mother, authorities in Port Orange, Fla., said, who killed the 14-year-old by confining and starving her for three months. The mother, 30-year-old Kathryn Joan Allen, was arrested Friday while driving back from Annie's funeral. She was charged with first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse, and was being held without bail.