clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


More on bombing, A2 and A3.Videotape from a surveillance camera may show the rental truck that was used in the bombing of a federal office building, the FBI said Monday.

Weldon Kennedy, the agent in charge of the FBI's investigation, would not elaborate on what the surveillance camera, located in a nearby building, revealed. But he said the images "may be helpful to this case."The announcement came as investigators continued to search for a second man suspected of carrying out the nation's worst terrorist bombing and as searchers at the site dug into sections that are expected to yield a heavy death toll.

There were also these developments Sunday and Monday:

- Court-appointed attorneys for Timothy McVeigh, the only suspect charged in the case, announced Monday that they would ask to step aside. They said they feared for the safety of their families and weren't sure they could represent McVeigh in an unbiased way.

- President Clinton sought broad new powers to combat terrorism. His chief of staff, Leon Panetta, defended those proposals Monday against charges that they could violate civil liberties.

- An Army deserter from Fort Riley, Kan., was questioned, then released to military custody, after being apprehended in California. McVeigh once served at Fort Riley.

- Two brothers who were friends of McVeigh were being held as material witnesses, and there were searches and questioning over the weekend in Las Vegas, upstate New York, Michigan and Kansas.

As the nation observed a day of mourning on Sunday, there was more bad news.

Besides the 78 confirmed dead from the federal office building bombing April 19, another person, nurse Rebecca Anderson, 37, died Sunday from head injuries suffered trying to help after the blast. More than 400 were injured in the worst terrorist attack in the United States.

There were 100 unaccounted for as rescue efforts lost time over the weekend because of fierce thunderstorms, wind gusts and threatening debris.

Late Sunday night, 120 fire-fighters went into the area of theruins that once held a day-care center and a Social Security office - the area where many bodies are believed to be. The searchers entered the area only after a dangling 20-foot-square concrete slab was bolted to the eighth floor of the building so it wouldn't fall on them.

The search was again halted temporarily Monday morning for more shoring-up.

Despite continued cool weather - it was 36 degrees overnight - a strong odor began to envelop the building and the surrounding area.

No survivor has been found in the rubble since the first night of the effort, and Assistant Fire Chief Jon Hansen agreed that finding one now would be miraculous.

"There's always hope," said Dawn Mahan, leaving a special service Sunday featuring Clinton and the Rev. Billy Graham at an overflowing Oklahoma State Fairgrounds. Her mother, a 48-year-old federal housing employee, is still missing.

She described the waiting as "hell," then added softly: "Oh yeah, there's still hope."

At the service, Clinton promised "to bring to justice those who did this evil." In a evening CBS "60 Minutes" interview, Clinton repeated that those responsible should be executed.

"If this is not a crime for which capital punishment is called, I don't know what is," Clinton said.

Clinton also proposed new powers to combat terrorism, including establishment of a new FBI Domestic Counterterrorism Center, and legislation that would give federal investigators greater authority to search phone logs and hotel registers.

Civil libertarians were wary, but Panetta defended the proposals against charges that they could threaten Americans' freedom.

"There's obviously a balance that we always have to strike," he said on the "CBS This Morning" show. "The president's proposals I think are right on the mark."

Panetta also said authorities were "looking at about five individuals," including the "John Doe" still believed to be at large. So far, only McVeigh has actually been charged in the bombing.

A spokesman for one of two defense lawyers appointed to represent McVeigh said Monday that they would apply for a change of venue, and also to withdraw from the case.

Mark Mattison said John Coyle III and Susan Otto were concerned about "the safety of their families and children and the fact that everyone here from judges to attorneys has been touched by this case and, therefore, may not be able in an unbiased manner to provide the defense required for this client."

He said Coyle was in the county courthouse nearby when the bomb exploded.

Mattison said the two lawyers had met with McVeigh twice.

McVeigh, arrested less than two hours after the bombings on a traffic violation and then taken into federal custody Friday, faces court hearings Thursday on a federal bombing charge. Other charges are expected.

Panetta said McVeigh had not offered any information to investigators.

The FBI said McVeigh, who turned 27 Sunday, was the first of two "John Doe" suspects in composite drawings circulated the day after the bombing, based on witnesses' descriptions of two men linked to a rented Ryder truck that was packed with the fatal explosives.

The FBI said there could be more suspects.

On Sunday, the FBI burst into a small San Bernardino home to grab Spc. 4 David Iniguez, 23, on charges unrelated to the attack. Iniguez was questioned late into Sunday evening in connection with the bombing, then released to military authorities Monday.

Kennedy, the FBI agent, said investigators had found no connection between Iniguez and the bombing.

Someone had claimed to recognize Iniguez from the "John Doe 2" sketch of a dark-haired, square-jawed man, according to a senior law enforcement official. But another official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said he had no tattoo on his arm, as the FBI sketch had depicted on the suspect.

Iniguez went AWOL from Fort Riley last Aug. 23 and was declared a deserter a month later, said Air Force Lt. Col. Joan Ferguson, a Pentagon spokeswoman. She said Iniguez was awaiting court-martial for possession and distribution of marijuana when he deserted.

Brothers Terry Lynn Nichols, 40, and James Douglas Nichols, 41, were held as material witnesses but not charged. Terry Nichols also served at Fort Riley.

The brothers are said to share far-right political views with McVeigh, whom the FBI described as enraged against the federal government for its actions against the Branch Davidian cult in Waco, Texas. A February 1993 firearms raid led to a standoff, then a fire that killed more than 80 cult members. The bombing took place on the second anniversary of the fire.

Leaders of the right-wing Michigan Militia Corps acknowledged Saturday that the Nichols brothers apparently had attended militia gatherings. They described the men as renegades who had been kicked out of meetings and never officially joined the militia.

Militia officials also distanced themselves from Mark Koernke, of Dexter, Mich., after reports that he was wanted for questioning about a fax message sent to a congressman. (Story on A3.) Koernke broadcasts warnings against a "New World Order" over short-wave radio and has been supportive of the militia movement.

However, sheriff's officials in Michigan Monday denied reports that federal officials wanted to talk to Koernke.




For more on Oklahoma City bombing, search for document XBOMB424.