clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Ago Rado, a Ravensbrueck survivor, tossed a stone into a lake next to the Nazis' former concentration camp for women. It was a simple gesture but fraught with meaning.

Rado's mother, also a Ravens-brueck prisoner, either died of diphtheria or was killed by the SS guards. Rado, a Hungarian Jew, doesn't know which. She was shipped to another camp in 1945.Rado, a concert pianist who lives in Baltimore, was among about 1,300 former prisoners who returned to Ravensbrueck on Sunday for ceremonies marking the 50th anniversary of the Soviet army's liberation of the camp.

Looking through Ravensbrueck documents, she learned for the first time that ashes of the camp's cremated dead had been dumped into the nearby lake.

"Now I know where my mother is," she said, looking at the quiet lake.

The old women at Sunday's ceremonies returned to a place that robbed them of babies, friends and years - a place where they were tortured for making dolls for child prisoners.

They marched with roses and wreaths, some in wheelchairs or walking with canes, through the gates of the Nazi concentration camp.

Elderly now, but all in better health than they were when the Red Army liberated the camp April 30, 1945, the survivors sat on benches at the roll call square, where the SS had carried out beatings and executions.

Bella Eisenberg, a Polish-born Jew, had an eerie feeling as she walked past a site where the gas chamber once stood, past the crematorium, and past the lake.

"I feel like a ghost. Is it possible I am walking? I'm supposed to be dead," said the 69-year-old Eisenberg, who owns an art gallery in Omaha, Neb.

From 1939 until 1945, more than 130,000 women and children were imprisoned at Ravensbrueck, plus 40,000 men in a separate section. At least 50,000 prisoners are thought to have been killed by shootings, medical experiments, beatings, slave labor, disease, hunger or the gas chamber. Until 1943, babies were aborted or drowned at birth.