Facebook Twitter

S. JORDAN HOME IS LOST TO FLAMES STARTED BY CHILD

SHARE S. JORDAN HOME IS LOST TO FLAMES STARTED BY CHILD

A fire caused by a boy playing with a gas can destroyed a house at 1065 W. Fourb Lane Monday.

Capt. Steve Osborne of the South Jordan Fire Department said firefighters don't know how the gas ignited, whether from a match or accidental spark or another source.Damage was estimated at $150,000.

The blaze spread through the garage and into the attic, and from there through the rest of the house. A strong wind was blowing from the north, which made the fire difficult to control, Osborne said.

Firefighters were further hampered by the lack of a hydrant in the area; the house is located in an island of Salt Lake County between South Jordan and West Jordan, and no hydrants were nearby.

Initially firefighters pumped water directly from the supply in their truck, then finally connected with a hydrant located relatively far away by forcing their hoses under a chain-link fence and running it to the hydrant though ultimately the house could not be saved.

The occupants of the home were evacuated in time and were not injured, Osborne said.