Facebook Twitter



A band of clouds marched across northeastern Utah Friday afternoon, filling ditches and flooding basements.

There were no reports of injuries or serious damage. But it left an impressive amount of moisture behind.Unlike the scattered thunderstorms usually seen this time of year, the storm was "pretty well organized," said Dan Baumgardt of the National Weather Service.

But Dewey Nordell, longtime resident of Ferron, Emery County, which took the brunt of the storm, described the storm as "a wonderful downpour."

He said a policeman told him of a yard where all he could see was a lawnmower sticking out of the water.

"I've lived here 80 years," Nordell said. "I've seen a lot of hard rain - some as bad as this - but this was right up to the front of the line. It flooded a lot of gardens and knocked down tomato plants, too, I'm sure. A beautiful storm like this will bring more grass. It was wonderful."

The storm resulted when a moist air mass extending from Cedar City to Rock Springs, Wyo., mixed with a weak impulse that blasted the land with water, according to Baumgardt.

Ferron received 1.72 inches of rain in a 45-minute period, starting at 3 p.m. Clawson, just northeast of Ferron, took more than an inch of rain.

The impulse also brought minor flooding to Carbon County, around Price. Sunnyside, in the eastern portion of the county, received .53 inches of rain.

In Price, a dry wash 5 feet deep and 20 feet across was full but didn't overflow. Several streets in Price were flooded, according to the Utah Highway Patrol, when runoff and drainage systems clogged with different debris. In 70 minutes, Price got .90 inches of rain. Residents reported standing waters in the fields and 35 to 40 mph wind gusts.

Besides lots of water scattered across the northeastern region of the state, Duchesne and Roosevelt reported pea-size hail.

Between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m., Duchesne had been hit with .90 inches of moisture, but the storm tapered off as it moved into Uintah County. Vernal reported .47 inches, while Naples got .66.

"Once it moved from central Utah, it formed a real nice line and moved off into Colorado," Baumgardt said.

A flash flood warning was allowed to expire at 7:30 p.m. when the storm left Utah.

With a moist and unstable air mass still over the area, more thunderstorms were expected. And motorists were cautioned to stay off roads that are wet because water could be deeper than it looked.