Facebook Twitter


Around the world

FREED: A South Korean rice-aid ship returned home Monday after being detained for a week in North Korea on spy charges, port officials said in Seoul. A Korea Maritime and Port Authority official said the 9,400-ton Samsun Venus and its 21-man crew arrived at the southeastern port city of Pohang at 2:30 p.m. "All crew are known to be in good health," he said. But in a development expected to raise tension on the eve of the 50th anniversary of Korea's liberation from Japanese rule, two southern students defied the government to visit the North for a rally arranged by Pyongyang to mark the event.

KILLED: A Western hostage tucked a note into his clothing before he was decapitated by Kashmiri separatists in India who have now threatened to kill four other captives, including an American. "I'm dying. There's nothing to eat. There's nothing to live for," said the note written in Norwegian by Hans Christian Ostro, 27. His body was found Sunday in the Himalayan village of Seer. Indian military officials indicated Monday they would consider a raid on the kidnappers. The government, for the first time, refused to rule out considering the kidnappers' demands.

Across the nation

FALL: A pair of rescuers came within a few hundred feet of an injured climber on Mount Rainier before falling to their deaths, park officials said in Ashford, Wash. A second rescue crew saved the climber, who broke his ankle on a glacier near the top of the 14,411-foot mountain, about 60 miles southeast of Tacoma. The two rescuers, ages 22 and 23, were experienced climbers, officials said. The injured climber, John Graver of Santa Cruz, Calif., was taken by helicopter to a hospital. He was injured Saturday when he fell 60 to 80 feet while descending from the summit.

RETAKEN: Prison officials in Adrian, Mich., on Monday morning regained control of a building taken over by inmates who had turned on guards after being ordered to their cells during a power outage. Officials fired tear gas into the building early Monday morning before entering. No shots were fired, officials said. Guards had scuffled with prisoners Sunday evening before abandoning the building to the 186 inmates. Officials negotiated with the inmates through the night, spokeswoman Rebecca Bunke said.