About 30 tons of hay were destroyed Sunday afternoon when a pole barn accidentally caught fire, causing an estimated $12,000 damage.
Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Ron Fernstedt said the blaze occurred about 4:40 p.m. at 6015 S. 2400 West in Lake Shore, west of Spanish Fork.Utah County Fire Marshal Tom Wroe said the fire was started accidentally when owner Kyle Pehrson was burning scrap pieces of wood near the hay. "He was burning within about 20 feet of the hay and it caught fire," Wroe said.
The hay was Pehrson's first and second crop yields. Minor fire and water damage was reported around the structure.
The Spanish Fork Volunteer Fire Department and other county crews responded to the fire, which took two to three hours to contain.
Wroe said he didn't know if Pehrson was insured.