Facebook Twitter

2 FOUND DEAD INSIDE TRAILER IN HERRIMAN

SHARE 2 FOUND DEAD INSIDE TRAILER IN HERRIMAN

Two employees of an equestrian center were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday morning.

Salt Lake County sheriff's detective Ben Forbes said the two men, ages 20 and 21, were apparently overcome Saturday night while asleep inside a trailer at 12600 S. 5156 West.Another employee discovered their bodies at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday, Forbes said. The names of the victims, both of whom were recent arrivals to Utah, were withheld pending notification of relatives.

Forbes said it appeared the trailer's heater vent had been blocked by wet laundry hanging from a line that had been rigged to the back of the trailer. Carbon monoxide fumes from the propane heater then backed up into the living quarters, he said.

It was the second fatal carbon monoxide accident this year in Utah. In February, a 68-year-old Pleasant Grove woman died when exhaust fumes seeped into her house from a car that was left idling inside an attached garage.

Last month, 11 members of a Salt Lake family were overcome by carbon monoxide from an apparently improperly maintained furnace. Though they suffered some symptoms of poisoning, all 11 survived when the mother began to suspect a problem and called 911.

Called the "silent killer," carbon monoxide is the No.1 cause of death by poisoning in the United States. The Journal of the American Medical Association estimates more than 1,500 people are killed and 10,000 are sickened each year by carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide poisoning initially produces flulike symptoms, including headaches, nausea, dizziness and fatigue and can lead to death in as little as 15 minutes.