Facebook Twitter


Around the world

CAMPS CLOSING: Zaire said Saturday it would close 40 camps for a million Rwandan refugees one by one, prompting some refugees to leave the first camp expected to be ringed by troops. The refugees are from the Hutu majority and fled in 1994 during civil war and the genocide of up to a million Tutsis and Hutu moderates butchered by Hutu troops, militiamen and mobs. Rwanda's government says it will screen all male returnees to discover whether they killed in the genocide. Some refugees say they fear they will be killed in reprisal if they return.ARAFAT OKS PROBE: Palestinian President Yasser Arafat has agreed to investigate the killing of two Islamic Jihad activists by his security forces a week ago, an Islamic Jihad leader who met Arafat said Saturday. Abdallah al-Shami and three other Jihad leaders met Arafat Friday night. Shami said the killing was discussed and it was agreed to set up an inquiry headed by PLO Executive Committee Secretary General Jamal al-Sourani.

Across the nation

TOWNHOUSE BURNS: Three children left at home alone by their babysitter lit a fire that burned them out of their Cherry Hill, N.J., townhouse Saturday and put a 9-year-old girl and a 11-year-old boy in the hospital, police said. They said they would charge a 25-year-old woman with neglect and endangering children after she appeared outside the blazing home in this southern New Jersey suburb of Philadelphia while firefighters were quelling flames. The two-floored townhouse was consumed in the blaze. Police said the children, who were not identified, had time to set a fire in the fireplace and light it after the babysitter stepped out.

FLOODING KILLS 2: A teenager and her grandfather, who were making a dangerous trip across a swollen creek near Petroleum, W. Va., so the girl wouldn't miss school, were washed off a bridge as horrified relatives looked on. Search crews Friday found the body of 67-year-old Paul Metz. He and 17-year-old Amanda Burch had been missing since Thursday evening. Officials were still searching for Burch. Metz had crossed a private bridge over the Goose Creek around 6 p.m. Thursday to pick up Burch so she wouldn't be trapped by high water and miss school on Friday, sheriff's Lt. Gary Hissem said. While trying to cross back over the creek 20 minutes later, swift water and ice forced the pickup over the side and into the water.

RE-EVACUATION: Some 500 people, many of them nursing home residents, were evacuated Saturday for a second time after a flash fire caused by fumes lingering from a midweek chemical spill. "We would rather err on the side of safety," said Nick Sommers, spokesman for the Chicago-based Akzo Chemical Inc., which leased the railroad tank car that split open Wednesday and spilled 8,000 gallons of carbon disulfide. After the initial spill, people living within a half-mile of the Sweetwater, Tenn., site were forced to stay away for nearly two days while hazardous material experts tried to remove the flammable, poisonous chemical. Everyone was allowed to go home by Friday.