Facebook Twitter

IDAHO-BASED SEWING MAGAZINE HAS CEASED PUBLICATION

SHARE IDAHO-BASED SEWING MAGAZINE HAS CEASED PUBLICATION

Dear Do-It Man: I subscribed to a magazine called The Sewing Room published by a company in Boise called Lynn Carthy Inc.

It was a bimonthly publication and my subscription was for a year. I received only a couple of issues and then the magazine stopped coming.I tried calling the publisher in Boise but the phone number has been disconnected.

I paid about $20 for the subscription.

Would you find out what is going on?

- A.C., North Salt Lake

Dear A.C.: Lynn Carthy Inc. filed for Chapter 7 (liquidation) bankruptcy. And its owners filed for personal bankruptcy.

The company also published a newsletter for computer enthusiasts called dieHard, The Flyer for Commodore 8 Bitters.

It, too, has "bit" the dust.

According to Michael McDonagh, an attorney with the Consumer Protection Unit of the Idaho Attorney General's Office, his office has received a large number of complaints about the company, which, unfortunately, appears to have many more liabilities than assets.

In his opinion, the amount of money a subscriber stands to receive as a creditor might well be less than what he would spend on postage to mail a complaint.

"We've told consumers that we're attempting to represent them in the bankruptcy, but that we're not optimistic about getting anything."

The AG's office did reach a consent agreement with the owners of the company in which they guaranteed they would post a bond to cover payments to consumers should they decide to set foot in the publishing business again.

Subscribers who want to send in a complaint despite the high odds of diminishing returns should mail it to Consumer Protection Unit, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0010.

Carbon monoxide

Faulty chimney flues, broken or leaking heating pipes or malfunctioning furnaces can all cause carbon monoxide poisoning, a problem that increases in the winter when home heating systems are revved up to capacity.

Each year, carbon monoxide poisoning claims about 2,400 lives and sends another 10,000 people to the hospital. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion, personality changes and, in some cases, irregular heart beats.

Specialists at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center say carbon monoxide is particularly troublesome because it is a colorless, odorless gas that has no taste. For that reason, many victims do not realize they have been exposed to it until it is too late.

Prompt diagnosis and an infusion of pressurized oxygen or other therapies can bring a patient's blood levels back to normal.

- Maturity News Service