The O.J. Simpson backlash continues.
Two weeks before the release of his mail-order video, most cable TV stations and a tabloid newspaper that capitalized on his trial are refusing to take his ads.Video producer Tony Hoffman says sales are brisk but would be better if he could advertise widely. He called the refusals to accept his commercials and ads unfair and even un-American.
"I'm not asking for anything for free," Hoffman said Thursday. "I'm asking to buy time. This is America and in America a person should have the right to buy TV time."
He said no cable station, with the exception of Black Entertainment Television, was willing to sell him air time. Simpson did a live interview on BET last week.
The National Enquirer, which has had Simpson on its front page more often than not since the June 1994 slayings of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, rejected an ad for Simpson's $29.95 video. It was deemed "inappropriate," said Brian Williams, Enquirer senior editor.
"There are two reasons," Williams said. "One is the serious nature of the events. There are two dead bodies."
The other reason, he said, was anticipated reader protests.
Simpson was acquitted Oct. 3 in the killings of his ex-wife and her friend. The verdict caused a backlash from those who believed he was guilty.