Foreign Minister Roberto Robaina acknowledged Saturday that stricter U.S. sanctions could scare off foreign investors but said Cuba has endured a 34-year embargo and won't crumble under new pressures.

"It will be difficult to squeeze us much more," Robaina told foreign correspondents at a news conference. "We have lived through laws like this before."President Clinton has promised to sign the Cuba Liberty Act, which Congress revived after Cuba shot down two American civilian planes off the Cuban coast Feb. 24. The bill last week sailed through both the House of Representatives and Senate. Clinton, who originally opposed the bill, is now expected to sign it.

The act would give Americans who have lost property in Cuba since Fidel Castro came to power in 1959 the right to sue foreign companies that benefit from that property. Foreign investors dealing with confiscated property are barred entry into the United States.

The legislation has been severely criticized by U.S. allies, especially those with heavy investment in Cuba - Canada, Mexico and the European Union - who argue the bill is anti-free trade.

Robaina also lashed out at Cuba's fledgling opposition, charging that wealthy Cuban-Americans from Miami and the U.S. government are providing financial and moral support.

The opposition umbrella group, known as Concilio Cubano, repeatedly has denied the claims, as have diplomats at the U.S. Interest Section in Havana.

Late Friday, Robaina said Havana had not changed its decision to defend its territory with "the means available" if there were new violations of its airspace.

"On violations of airspace, Cuba has not changed its decision to defend (its airspace) by the means that it has available," he said on state television.