Juan Arias Duenas, a 31-year-old farm worker from Mexico who was maimed while loading a railroad car near Milford, Beaver County, remains in critical condition in the intensive care unit of LDS Hospital.

Meanwhile, another Mexican migrant farm worker who also lost three limbs in an accident is now undergoing transition training so he can leave University Hospital.The episodes raised questions about insurance for migrant farm workers.

Duenas was airlifted to the hospital on March 5, shortly after the accident that severed his right leg above the knee, his left leg below the hip and his left arm above the elbow. Since then he has been treated with oxygen in a hyperbolic chamber, attempting to preserve as much tissue as possible.

Hospital spokesman Jess Gomez said Duenas was loading hay when he motioned for the train to back up. As it was moving, he either climbed down a ladder or fell, "and got caught underneath the wheels of the train."

The injuries were so extensive that the limbs could not be reattached. "Everything was basically severed, and there was so much tissue that had been crushed, there was no hope of that," Gomez said of reattachment.

A breathing tube was placed down his throat, so Duenas has been unable to talk.

"It's not clear yet whether he is a resident alien with a resident visa to come work here, or whether he is illegal." He and his brothers were en route to Idaho for regional work and Duenas had stopped to work for a few days in Utah.

"He's got no medical insurance," Gomez said. Possibly Medicaid will pick up some of the costs for the patient's initial emergency care but probably it won't cover long-term care.

As part of LDS Hospital's commitment to charity care, as long as Duenas is a patient there "he will get the best care regardless of his ability to pay," Gomez said.

People have telephoned the LDS Hospital about helping pay for Duenas' care. He will need long-term help beyond the immediate hospitalization, so the assistance may be important.

Javier Tellez-Juarez, 24, who lost his arms and a leg in a tractor-powered post-hole digging accident farm accident last Dec. 13 near Malta, Idaho, has visited his family in their Sugar House apartment.

Tellez goes out of University Hospital occasionally for car rides, added John Dwan, hospital spokesman. He leaves during the day but must return to the hospital in the evenings for rehabilitation and care.

If all goes as hoped, he may leave the hospital for an overnight visit with his family this weekend.

So far, Tellez is doing well - considering that he has no arms and a leg. He has gotten along well physically and medically but still receives as much rehabilitation as he's able to benefit from at the hospital, Dwan said.

He said Tellez has made good progress because of "superb medical care and strong family support. Utahns make a big point about family values, but you'd have to go a long ways to find a better family (than Tellez's family). They have stood by their son and husband and cared for him. Keep in mind that somebody has to do everything for him."

Tellez has progressed physically and medically and receives as much rehabilitation as he's able to benefit from at the hospital, Dwan said.