clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Elder Lloyd P. George, 75, who served in the Quorums of the Seventy for six years, died May 13, 1996, at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City.

He served in the First Quorum of the Seventy from Oct. 1, 1988, to April 1, 1989, when he was sustained to the Second Quorum of the Seventy. He was released Oct. 1, 1994. During his service as a General Authority, he served as a counselor in the North America Southeast, North American Central, Utah Central and Utah North area presidencies. While a counselor in the Utah Central Area, he was on the Salt Lake Temple Centennial Committee.Prior to his call as a Seventy, he served as Sunday School superintendent, president of a branch on the Piute Indian Reservation, bishop, president of the Millard (now Fillmore) Stake, and regional representative in the Cedar City and Panguitch regions. He was president of the Arizona Tempe Mission from 1984-87.

At the time of his death, he was serving in a branch presidency at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah.

He was born Sept. 17, 1920, in Kanosh, Utah, to Preal and Artemesia Palmer George. He attended BYU and later Eau Claire State Teachers College in Wisconsin. He served as a missionary in the Southern States Mission from 1941-42. He completed his mission in a nation embroiled in World War II, and was drafted by the Army. He entered the Army Air Corps where he was trained as a pilot. He eventually became a pilot trainer. After the end of World War II, he returned to his home town of Kanosh, Utah, to become a rancher. He and his wife, Leola Stott George, started with one cow and a small parcel of land. By hard work, they eventually acquired a ranch.

He loved being out in nature. He once observed: "Nature is created and controlled by a Supreme Being. . . . How often does one have the chance to see the sun come up in the mornings, or see the beautiful sunsets? How often does one get to see the beautiful fall flowers? I don't know the names of flowers, but I enjoy them."

They also had mercantile store in Kanosh. They retired from the ranch in 1979 and moved to Orem.

Elder George is survived by his wife and three children: Richard L., Janet (Mrs. Lynn Finlinson) and JoAnn (Mrs. Edward Red).