clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Around the world

FERRY: Divers recovered 158 bodies from the sunken Tanzanian ferry Bukoba in Lake Victoria Friday, and a volunteer rescue coordinator said the final toll could be more than 1,000 dead. "It's 158 bodies today. They have stopped the operation as it is too dark now," said Salim Virani, a boat contractor who is coordinating volunteer rescue operations from the Tanzanian port of Mwanza. Virani, after hearing reports from a support ship that is the base for divers who entered the sunken ferry searching for bodies Friday, said, "We think there's more than 1,000 bodies aboard."

TENSE QUIET: French tanks and soldiers roamed a quiet Bangui, Central African Republic, Friday as the government took steps to prevent a week-old army mutiny from spreading. There was no fighting in Bangui, and efforts to restart peace talks between the government and mutineers were under way. "We want peace because these bullets can hit anyone. Even if you want peace, you could be shot," said Mi Pierre, one of the few Bangui residents fearless enough to venture outside. At least 25 people, many of them civilians caught in cross fire, have died since troops rebelled last Saturday against President Ange-Felix Patasse, whose 1993 election brought democracy after years of military rule.

Across the nation

SETTLEMENT: A jury awarded $25 million to the family of a woman killed in a car-train accident seven years ago. Michelle Wightman's car was hit by a Conrail freight train at a Sandusky, Ohio, railroad crossing in February 1989. Her family sued Conrail, claiming the company was negligent because her view was obstructed by a stopped train. A jury in 1990 awarded $1 million in compensatory damages to her family.

PAINT BALLS: One of four youths who videotaped themselves on a paint-ball rampage shooting people from their car pleaded guilty Friday and was sentenced to two years in prison. Ruffy Flores entered a negotiated plea to charges of assault with a deadly weapon and felony vandalism. The other three youths are also expected to make plea bargains. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Sandy Kriegler gave them one week to reach plea bargains or trial will begin next month. The four youths were arrested last November after a three-night rampage in the suburban San Fernando Valley area in which several people were shot with paint balls.