Auditions have been scheduled for the following stage productions:
- "THE PIRATED PENZANCE," Pioneer Theatre Company's 1996-97 season opener and the first professional staging of James Christian's award-winning spin on "The Pirates of Penzance," on Thursday and Friday, May 16 and 17.Roles are available for men and women 18 and over. Those auditioning should prepare a traditional Broadway show tune or a selection from an operetta or light opera. An accompanist will be provided.
Auditions for Equity actors are from 2:15 to 3 p.m. Thursday, and 4:15 to 5 p.m. Friday. Open auditions for non-Equity actors are 3 to 5 p.m. Thursday, and 2:15 to 4:15 p.m. Friday. Auditions will be held in Room 217 at the Pioneer Memorial Theatre, 300 S. University Street. All auditioners must sign up for an audition time on the call board outside Room 201. A photo and resume are recommended.
The production, directed by Christian, will run Sept. 18 through Oct. 5.
- AN ORIGINAL MELODRAMA for the Murray Arts in the Park Series, scheduled to run weekends in July and August at Wheeler Farm and the Draper Theater, will hold its auditions Saturday, May 18, from 10 a.m. until noon in the Draper Theater, 12366 S. 900 East.
Roles are available for men and women ages 16 and over. Those auditioning should bring a music selection of their choice. An accompanist will be provided if needed.
The melodrama was written and will be directed by Claire Spencer. For more information call 964-6358.
- "JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT" is being produced by newly formed Go Go Joseph Productions, which will hold adult auditions on Saturday, May 4, in the Kingsbury Hall rehearsal room. Those auditioning for major speaking roles (Joseph, narrators, Pharoah, Jacob, Potiphar and assorted wives and brothers) will be seen between 9 and 11:30 a.m., with dancing/singing auditions scheduled for noon to 2 p.m. (please check in prior to 1 p.m.)
All parts require performers to sing and dance. Performers will receive profit-sharing compensation.
Auditioners should enter the theater through the artists' entrance (east door).
The production, being directed by Stafford Smith and choreographed by Debra Rudd, is scheduled to run Aug. 22-31 at Kingsbury Hall. For further information, call 944-4775.
- "THE PLACE FOR ME," an original centennial production sponsored by the South Jordan Arts Council, will have auditions on Saturday, May 11, from 10 a.m. until noon at the Piano Superstore, 10888 S. 300 West.
Scheduled to be staged July 26, the musical will focus on the history of the South Jordan area.
- "PETER PAN" - Auditions on Tuesday, May 7, and Thursday, May 9, from 7 until 9 p.m. at Hillcrest Junior High School, 126 E. 5300 South, Murray. Callbacks and late auditions for the Murray Arts in the Park production will be held on Saturday, May 11, at the same location.
All roles are open. J. Russell Johnson is directing the musical, scheduled for July 25-Aug. 2 in Murray Park Amphitheater.