Facebook Twitter

THIS WEEK IN CHURCH HISTORY

SHARE THIS WEEK IN CHURCH HISTORY

25 years ago

A "beautiful, modern visitors center" was dedicated May 31, 1971, in Independence, Mo., according to the June 5, 1971, Church News.

"The center, which has been under construction for the past two years, is erected on a portion of the original 63 acres dedicated for a temple by Joseph Smith in 1831," the article reported.

"Nearly 5,000 persons attended the outdoor ceremony under skies which cracked with lightning and reverberated with thunder."

Speakers at the dedication included President Joseph Fielding Smith; President N. Eldon Tanner, second counselor in the First Presidency; and Elder Alvin R. Dyer, Assistant to the Twelve.

President Tanner offered the dedicatory prayer, and President Spencer W. Kimball of the Quorum of the Twelve conducted the service.

Quote from the past

"Let us, then, press on confidently in the work of the Lord as we look forward to the glorious years of promise ahead." - President Spencer W. Kimball, in an address given at general conference April 5, 1980.