Facebook Twitter



Reclamation efforts have begun in southern Utah, where one of the state's largest wildfires raged this summer, while one blaze in the area continues to grow.

Meanwhile, a 500-acre fire in Juab County has been contained.The 15,000-acre Adelaide Complex between Kanosh and Cove Fort on Fishlake National Forest lands was controlled Wednesday night about 8 p.m., and efforts have begun to reseed the fireline to prevent erosion.

One crew and one helicopter are taking care of mop-up duties as 80 firefighters and other personnel remain to finish work at the site. The lightning-caused fire began nearly three weeks ago.

Crews were waterbarring the firelines as well, and plans were under way to revegetate severely burned areas and watersheds to prevent flooding and damage to downstream resources.

Less than 30 miles south near Beaver, firefighters were trying to cut a fireline around the 10,000-acre Cunningham fire that jumped I-15 Monday night, charred a rest stop and set a tractor-trailer on fire.

The blaze "exhibited extreme fire behavior" Wednesday afternoon as winds shifted 180 degrees, forcing the fire to burn to the south, said Anne Stanworth with the Bureau of Land Management.

Four air tankers dropped loads of retardant on the fire with an average 10-minute turnaround. Eleven crews, 32 engines and 305 people were fighting the blaze, Stanworth said.

The lightning-caused blaze began Aug. 18, burning about 10 miles north of Beaver. On Tuesday, the fire burned power poles carrying electricity for the Gillies Hill communication site, then carried over to a rest stop along the interstate, burned a haystack and a semitractor trailer.

In Juab County, the Sarah fire that had scorched about 550 acres of private lands north of the Gilson Mountains was declared contained Wednesday night, said Linda Jackson of the Richfield Interagency Fire Center.

The lightning-caused blaze that began Sunday burned sagebrush and grasses as crews were mopping up, Jackson said. The fire did not threaten any structures.