The Utah Safety Council reports that almost 50,000 people are injured yearly in the United States in sledding accidents. It issued these tips:
- Dress in layers to avoid overheating and getting wet.- Wear a helmet, as doctors recommend.
- Stay clear of tree stumps and rocks.
- Sit upright; never ride head-first.
- Keep legs in the sled.
- Never sled while attached to a car.
- Don't use makeshift sleds made of carpet or cardboard.
- Children should be supervised to avoid foolish behavior.
Free copies of "Safe Winter Sports the Whole Family Can Enjoy" are available by calling 262-5400, Ext. 303.