clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

PROBE OF TRAINEE ABUSE WIDENS AT MISSOURI BASE

The number of pending investigations into alleged trainee abuse at Fort Leonard Wood has more than doubled since mid-December.

Twenty-eight men were under investigation as of Friday for allegations of misconduct with recruits, Lt. Col. Steve Rego said. That's in addition to two who have pleaded guilty and four awaiting court-martial.In December, the number of investigations totaled 12. Rego wouldn't say whether any of the 12 men under investigation last month had been cleared; he said only that the total had gone to 28. Several of the soldiers under investigation have been suspended, but Rego said he did not know how many. Most are instructors.