Facebook Twitter

Dam project to drain fish, water of Farmington Pond

SHARE Dam project to drain fish, water of Farmington Pond

Expect to see a no-fishing rule go into effect along the shores of Farmington Pond by the first of next month.

Expect it to stay that way through July as workers drain the body of water and go to work to make the dam earthquake safe.Bids on the million-dollar project are being accepted by the Davis County Commission, with the winning contractor to be named by Dec. 8.

Approximately 80 percent of the project will be paid for with funds from the State Department of Water Resources, while the county is picking up the remaining 20 percent.

The spot is a popular attraction for locals looking to snare a fish or two.

Sid Smith, the county's public works director, said the pond is not being restocked, and by the time it is drained, there won't be any fish left.

The pond, at approximately 700 North and 50 West, has been evaluated for several years as part of a mandate from the State Department of Dam Safety requiring dams be brought up to seismic safety codes.

Blaine Leonard, principal engineer with Strata Consultants, said workers will be stripping dirt off the face of the dam and replacing it with sand and a clay filler for seal. The project also calls for approximately 200-plus feet of 36-inch pipe and work on the existing spillway.

Leonard, whose firm designed the modifications on the project, said the rebuild involves raising the top of the dam, which is about 26 feet high now and contains 50 acre feet of water.

He said the clay filler will reduce seepage, making the sands and gravel less susceptible to liquefaction.