Longer, thinner hot dogs are being served in New York City schools after a third-grader's fatal choking last year.
The 5 1/2-inch-long hot dogs were replaced in March with franks that weigh the same, but are now 7 inches long and slightly narrower, school officials said Wednesday.The announcement came while David Golub, a spokesman for school Chancellor Rudy Crew, was commenting on a report on the February 1996 death of Ciara Santiago, 8. She was the second city student to fatally choke on a hot dog in this decade.
The report exonerated staffers and volunteers at P.S. 109, the East Harlem school that Ciara attended. But a lawyer for the girl's family, which has filed a $10 million lawsuit, disagreed.