clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Space heater is blamed in fire at Sandy residence

Investigators believe an electrical space heater ignited a fast-moving fire in the basement of a Sandy home Sunday afternoon.

Fire Battalion Chief Steven Demas said a family of six at 1694 E. 9350 South was alerted by smoke detectors at 1:05 p.m. and found a downstairs bedroom in flames.The family evacuated the house safely, though the father suffered some cuts to his hands and minor smoke inhalation while trying to put out the fire, Demas said.

A space heater placed too close to the bed apparently set it afire, Demas said. When firefighters arrived on the scene, flames had spread through the basement and up into the floor of the main level of the house.

A second alarm was quickly sounded to summon more fire-fighters and equipment to the scene.

"There were a lot of combustibles there (in the basement), and it was burning very hot," Demas said.

Two firefighters were slightly injured when a basement ceiling collapsed. They were examined at Alta View Hospital and released, Demas said.

The fire was extinguished within an hour. Demas estimated the damage at about $125,000.