There are countless opportunities to volunteer in the community. No special skills are necessary other than a desire to help others. For information about listings in the Helping Hand column, call Volunteer Services at 978-2452.

Assist elderly patients. Call Tanya at Pine Ridge Nursing Center, 487-2248.Do office work. Call the agency coordinator, 887-1257.

Help homeless individuals. Call Tamara at Travelers Aid, 359-4142.

Mentor teenage boys. Call Holly at the Utah Youth Village, 272-9980.

Support hospice patients. Call Lynne at VistaCare, 293-1656.

Work with children. Call Robin at the Odyssey House, 596-1990.

Teach life skills to teens. Call Jaime at 972-6421.

Tutor children in school. Call Sima, 284-4404.

Work with homeless boys in Scouting. Call Tamara, 359-4142.

Read stories at library. Call Melissa, 524-8273.

Raise money for Riley Elementary. Call 908-0815.

Drive for people who are blind. Call Leslie, 292-1156.

Tutor teens or teach classes in youth facility. Call Lisa, 265-5810.

Volunteer in Cancer Resource Office. Call 483-1500.

Answer domestic violence hotline. Call Susan, 444-3191.

Assist teachers in Davis County schools. Call 451-1285.

Greet visitors to Salt Lake County Recorder's Office. Call 468-3622.

Advocate for victims of rape. Call 467-7279.

Interview applicants for utility assistance. Call 323-7021.

Help during study period at Butler Middle School. Call 412-2256.

Work for the Red Cross. Call 323-7021.

Befriend people going through rehabilitation. Call 298-2234.

Screen people for glaucoma. Call 524-2020.

Do intake for Utah Legal Services. Call 328-8891.

Serve food at Riverton Senior Center. Call 254-7609.

Volunteer at South Davis Community Hospital. Call 295-2361.

Sew for Utah Historical Society. Call 533-3517.

Sort clothes at Catholic Community Services. Call 484-9937.

Do yard work for local refugee center. Call 363-4955.

Sort clothing for low-income women. Call 583-7804.

Tutor reading at Woodrow Wilson Elementary. Call 481-7200.

Mentor adults who speak Spanish. Call Pat, 484-4343.

Set up computer network. Call 363-4955.

Be a Big Brother or Big Sister. Call 534-1818, ext. 16.

Visit terminally ill patients and their families. Call 397-4900.

Tutor Somalia refugees. Call 578-8173.

Serve as Salt Lake County election judge. Call 468-3427.

Organizations are also in need of various items and ask for the following donations:

Oil paints. Call LifeCare, 978-2452.

Printer. Call Salt Lake Peer Counseling, 322-1815.

Furniture, pickup truck or van. Call International Rescue Committee, 328-1091.

Massage table. Call Visions of Attitude, 364-0744.

Household items. Call the Transitional Living Center, 978-2452.

Men's coats. Call the Veterans Administration Hospital, 582-1075, ext. 1565.

Winter coats, music supplies, sheets and towels. Call Salt Lake County Youth Services, 269-7506.

Car seats. Call Families and Communities Together, 293-7406.

Children's underwear and socks. Call the Children's Center, 582-5534.

Classroom chairs. Call New Hope, 363-4955.

Carpet and other furnishings. Call JEDI Women, 583-7804.

High school appropriate books. Call Artec, 963-3409.

Printer. Call Wasatch Youth Center, 265-5810.

Clothing for job interviews. Call Alliance House, 486-5012.