Facebook Twitter

TV mail carrier delivers message to tax cheats

SHARE TV mail carrier delivers message to tax cheats

Wayne Knight, who played lazy postal worker Newman on "Seinfeld," is more into public service in real life, taking a reduced fee to make radio commercials urging Wisconsin tax delinquents to pay up.

"Ninety-five percent of Wisconsin taxpayers pay their taxes on time. Congratulations," Knight says as the Hank Williams' song "Your Cheatin' Heart" plays in the background. "Unfortunately, that means 5 percent of you don't. No congratulations for you. In fact, what if the other 95 percent knew who you were?" he asks. "That wouldn't be pretty."Knight received $10,000 to make the commercial telling tax delinquents to take advantage of the state's 60-day amnesty, about one-fifth his usual fee for such work, according to Wisconsin Department of Revenue Secretary Cate Zeuske.