The Bountiful/Davis Art Center will present the exhibit and competition, "Handcart Days," from June 29-July 24. On the opening night awards will be presented at the reception. For more information call Eldeen Trimble at 295-5884.
- The Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art will host two exhibits this summer: "Ice Blue: Paintings of Antarctica" by David Rosenthal and "Sacred Images: Photography from Southern Utah" by Craig Law, John Telford, Tom Till and Phillip Hyde. Both exhibits open Tuesday, June 30, and run through Aug. 14.- The Children's Museum of Utah (840 N. 300 West, Salt Lake City) will host "Dinostories," an exhibit featuring vividly painted banners, life-size wooden head chairs and dinosaur nest and much more. The exhibit runs through Sept. 13. For more information, call the museum at 801-328-3383.
- Sam Collett will have an exhibition of his work at the Springville Museum of Art (126 E. 400 South, Springville). The exhibit will run through Aug. 9 with an artist reception today from 3-6 p.m. The SMA is open Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Wednesday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, 3-6 p.m.
- The Art Shack at the Sundance resort in Provo will host an art exhibit, "Young Contemporaries Utah," beginning Monday, June 29, and extend it through the summer. The exhibit displays the work of the artists from Utah's university art departments who won awards in 1997. The "Young Contemporaries" concept began in London, England, in the 1960s. For more information, call the Art Shack at 801-4107 ext. 4448.
- The Chase Home Museum of Utah Folk Art is open for the summer, displaying artwork by nearly 100 contemporary Utah folk artists. Their creations range from American Indian beadwork to braided rugs to whittling to saddles and Hispanic carvings. The Chase Home Museum is located in the center of Liberty Park and is open from noon-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday. On Saturday the museum is open 3-8 p.m.
- The Park City Gallery, 592 Main, Park City, will celebrate its first annual Utah Week from June 29-July 4 with discounts on original art. For more information, contact the gallery at 435-649-4514.
- The Museum of Northern Arizona will display and sell the artwork of more than 45 Hopi artists at its 65th Annual Hopi Marketplace on July 4 and 5. The event is from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. each day and features art sales, demonstrations, traditional Hopi music and dances and children's activities. For more information, call the museum at 520-774-5213.
WORKSHOPS AND LECTURES
- The Utah Museum of Fine Arts will host a gallery talk with Sheila D. Muller on Sunday, June 28, at 2 p.m. Muller will explore the social and historical content of the painting "An Allegory Amsterdam" by Domenicus van Wijnen (1661-ca.1700). This marks the first public exhibition of the painting since its acquisition.