Facebook Twitter

Tenants escape uninjured in South S.L. apartment fire

SHARE Tenants escape uninjured in South S.L. apartment fire

Tenants in a South Salt Lake apartment escaped a fire without injury early Saturday but just barely, investigators said.

Smoke from the blaze filled the apartment and woke the tenants about 5 a.m., said South Salt Lake Fire Chief Steve Foote. The man and woman immediately dropped to the floor and crawled out of the apartment."If they would have stood up, the heat and the smoke would have got them," he said. "They did everything perfectly."

The fire caused $35,000 in damage to the triplex, 112 W. Commonwealth Avenue (2135 South). The blaze has forced all the tenants of the building to relocate until it's rebuilt, Foote said. Most are staying with relatives.

Foote said investigators blamed an overloaded electrical circuit for the blaze, saying the circuit got too hot and ignited some carpet.

Fire crews from Salt Lake City and West Valley City helped extinguish the blaze quickly. Tenants in the two other apartments evacuated before they were in danger.

"These early morning fires are scary," Foote said. "The residents are usually in a deep sleep and sometimes don't wake up in time. We were very fortunate this time."