Do couples really want to capture every twitch?
- YOU SHOULDN'T BE IN PICTURES: If anyone were to say "Blackwell, in Illinois, in June," you'd think he was talking about the NBA playoffs.And he might be.
On the other hand, he could be talking about the Rev. Phil Blackwell - Dave's brother - performing June marriages in Wilmette, Ill.
In Chicago, columnist Bob Greene has turned Phil Blackwell into something of a folk hero. Blackwell, it seems, counsels young people not to videotape their weddings, and Greene's readers like what they're hearing.
"I tell the couples in our counseling sessions that videotape is unforgiving," Blackwell told Greene. "It preserves every twitch, scratch and frown. Our memory is a much better judge of reality. Our memory evaluates, edits and enhances.
"The power of the marriage comes from what we carry inside of us, not from the rerun of a pageant we are forced to watch from the outside. Videos distance us from the actual event - and eventually become the substitute for it."
There are exceptions, of course. When a family member is in the hospital or in the military, for instance. But for the most part, Blackwell says it's best to keep the camera in the case.
Pretty sound advice, actually.
Though a good many Utahns will feel he's simply preaching to the choir - the Tabernacle Choir.
For devout LDS couples, videotaping temple weddings has never been permitted.
- MISERY LOVES COMPANY: As book editor I get so many tossed-off books that simply hope to make a quick buck, it isn't fair I'm the only one who has to suffer through them - or at least suffer through parts of them.
So today you get to join me. Here's the latest fly-by-night volume, a tiny tome called "Every Excuse in the Book: 714 Ways to Say `It's Not My Fault.' "
Among 704 others, the book suggests these 10 things to say once you've been caught:
1. Who among us is completely innocent?
2. You misinterpreted it.
3. I was caught up in the moment.
4. You're not seeing the big picture.
5. You put the worst possible spin on things.
6. I learned the wrong seven habits.
7. I'll look into it and get back to you.
8. Any reasonable person would have done the same thing.
9. You're lucky I did this well.
10. Someone's trying to make me look bad.
Bill? Monica? Are you reading?